Thursday 28 October 2010

Dearly-loved Children


I've been writing devotionals on 1 John 2 for the international student ministry I'm involved in here called The Well. I love how all throughout this chapter, John refers to his readers as dear children. The Greek used is “τεκνίον” which can even be translated as, “darlings” (Strong’s Greek Dictionary). Paul used the same Greek word when he wrote in Ephesians 5:1, “Be imitators of God, as dear children.” 

It struck me anew the miracle of grace to think that when God looks at me-- knowing me completely, knowing all I have done or haven’t done and am yet to do in this life, all my secret thoughts, all my deepest selfishness, and how very far I fall from the mark-- He still sees his very own dearly-loved child...

My amazing friend Abbie once drew this for me
during a time of prayer for me. It's me and Him...
The Greek for “dear” in Eph. 5:1 means, “beloved, esteemed, worthy of love, favourite.” Did you know that when He looks at you, He sees His favourite little darling child? Strong’s Greek Dictionary explains that Paul’s use of “children” in Eph 5:1 is “an affection address for those led by the Spirit of God, therefore closely related to God.” When you really stop to think about what it means to be His child, doesn’t it just blow you away?

Suddenly things which I've been stewing over, details of this crazy lifestyle, the travels, the costs, the matters of safety, being on my own, the wondering how it's all going to work, the trying to be strong enough, smart enough, whatever enough-- suddenly they fade into the background when I let myself stop and realize what it means to be His. And it's not just that He's my Father by chance; He's my Father by adoption (Eph 1:4-5). He wants me. I find that stunning...

And, dear children, "darlings", He wants you too.

 I am writing to you who are God’s children
      because your sins have been forgiven through Jesus.
I am writing to you who are mature in the faith
      because you know Christ, who existed from the beginning.
 I am writing to you who are young in the faith
      because you have won your battle with the evil one.
 I have written to you who are God’s children
      because you know the Father.
 I have written to you who are mature in the faith
      because you know Christ, who existed from the beginning.
 I have written to you who are young in the faith

      because you are strong.
 God’s word lives in your hearts,
      and you have won your battle with the evil one.

-- 1 John 2: 12-14

5 comments:

Leah LC Shellum said...

love it! :)

Gabi Dickinson said...

Mmm.
''Amina''
;)

Hannah said...

Leah- I have such a hard time believeing this as my reality. I really struggle. Sure- maybe God loves Beth Moore that way :-) but me..... I don't know how to fix this in my mind and heart.

Deb said...

What a beautiful drawing of the dearly beloved Leah and her Abba Father!

Love you, darling ~ Aunt Deb <><

Jackelyn said...

You need to keep writing devotions, you are so incredible!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...