Saturday 4 September 2010

Have you ever been hungry?

Have you ever gone hungry?
I mean really hungry, not eating supper an hour later than usual kind of hungry.

Today I've been taking part in a sponsored fast to raise money for Racham Ministries (website coming soon!). Racham is the brand new ministry heading out to south-eastern Uganda in January which I'm going out with to help start up the Children's Home. Today has been all about crying out for the children of Uganda which Racham will exist for who faint with hunger in the streets (Lam 2:19). I am hungry, but I have no idea what that kind of hunger is. I am needy, but I have no idea what that kind of need is. I may feel alone, but I have no idea what that kind of loneliness is. And I've been before the Lord all day crying out for those little ones who do know, who know nothing else...

Just like when I was facing it in Romania, my heart which knows this God of love, this massive, powerful, gracious, good, compassionate God, is perplexed when faced with these issues so incompatible with Who He is. He could snap His fingers and fill the bellies of every child on earth with good food, fill the love tank of every child on earth with affection and honest care. I know life doesn't work that way. I know. But if my little heart aches this deeply for them, how must His feel?? And how does He stand it?

I went to the Word and looked up "hunger," "hungry," and "orphan" in my concordance and found, "He has filled the hungry with good things and sent the rich away with empty hands." --Luke 1:53 And it made me long to remain in a place of need and hunger rather than being rich and full and think I have it all sorted, only to find my hands are empty of what matters... Him.

And He answered my cries of, "Lord, where is Your mercy for ones such as these?" with the reminder that... Christ left His Spirit in us and gave us the command to go into all the world and bring the Kingdom of God to those trapped in the world's darkness. Mother Theresa once said, "If we have no peace, it's because we have forgotten that we belong to one another."


"Give justice to the poor and the orphan; uphold the rights of the oppressed and the destitute. Rescue the poor and helpless; deliver them from the grasp of evil people." -- Psalm 82:3-4

"Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you." -- James 1:27

If we belong to Christ, their hunger is our responsibility to feed, their cries are ours to hear, their tears are ours to wipe, they are ours to love. We are the hands and feet of Christ, we are the bearers of His Kingdom light.

So... where are we?

2 comments:

Gabi Dickinson said...

AMEN!
Obviously this made me cry.
I love the last paragraph...
When I was journalling yesterday a prayer fell out of my heart. Maybe I'll share it with you...but thankfully He is already there. He isn't waiting for us to show up and bring Him to the people of Uganda. He's already there.

Leah said...

Gabi-- I'd love to read the prayer!
And I hope it's okay that I used this photo ;)

And PRAISE THE LORD! You are so right. He is already there. I meant it as a wider picture of the Church reaching out to the vulnerable in the world through this particular image He's set before us of the orphans of Uganda, really. Maybe I should have clarified that...

Mmmm, I'm so thankful for His heart.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...