Monday 18 June 2012

Gratefully 26

So, you know all those blog photo challenges? I've decided to do one of my own. No rules, really-- because rules are no fun :P-- just a challenge to take a photo each day of some element of my day.

Day 1: This is a photo encapsulating the relaxed feeling of my perfect birthday morning...

Morning bible study on the book of Daniel, teamed with a pretty morning coffee. Simple delights!


And another, simply because I couldn't choose :)

This month is a special one because, as of yesterday, I began 4 weeks of house-sitting for some friends of mine-- the pastor of our church-plant and his family. I have been amazed at how blessed and bolstered my spirit has been in the less than 24 hours since I've been here! I have discovered that in sharing housing with people, I tend to try to make myself as small as possible-- take up as little metaphorical space as can be. Being here, in this gorgeous, white, tidy and beautiful flat by myself, I feel so deliciously liberated. I can walk around in my nightie, sing as loud as I like, bake any time day or night, take a bath with the door open so I can hear my music playing from the living room, just breathe and be. Hehe! I have been overwhelmed by the simple pleasures. And my spirit is a bundle of thankfulness to the Giver of every good gift...

So, in traditional birthday fashion, I'd like to compose a list of 26 things I'm grateful for today on my 26th birthday :)


Gratefully 26:

1. This verse in my bible study this morning: "But in the end, the holy people of the Most High will be given the kingdom, and they will rule forever and ever" (Dan. 7:18). It was a heavy dissection of some of Daniel's prophecy today and that one verse shone out like a gem in the midst of it.

2. The relaxation of waking up, not having to worry about being at work, and just sitting down in this beautiful flat to myself in the morning light with my cup of warm coffee sweetened with honey and cinnamon, and opening my beautiful bible... Mmmmmm!

3. Webcam Skype chats with my sister and the kids. They delight my heart to no end! Yes, Abby, I can't wait to read the books you are writing :) And Emmy, thank you for sharing your secret with me!! 

4. Being an auntie! My 4 little treasures-- Abby, Emmy, Tucker, and Kenan-- make my life so rich, even when our time together is so little. And soon it will be more than 4!!

5. My handsome man. I love him so. We have so much to learn and so much to discover but there is no one I would rather do so with! So so so many hopes...

6. This house-sitting month! I am blessed to the core to have this lovely place to myself for a whole month!

7. Music and what it draws out of my soul.

8. Literature & Poetry

9. The excellent memoir I'm reading: "Surprised by Oxford" by Carolyn Weber

10. My adorable cousins and aunties and uncles. And my fabulous grandparents. I adore you! You all make my life so rich!

11. My darling godchildren. It blesses my heart to be trusted with praying for you all your lives long...

12. The way scripture is alive and the same old verse can hit me in new ways each time I read it!

13. That His ways are higher than mine. That I can trust that He's always looking out for my good, as well as His glory. That I needn't let anything trouble me (Oh, if only I could learn this by heart!) because He's got it all in hand...

14. Having a balcony for a month :)

15. sugar-snap peas. Yum. 

16. The sun coming out for my birthday :) :) :)

17. That He accepts my praise as a gift fit for a King. What?!

18. Grace so amazing, so divine, that it demands my soul, my life, my all...

19. Having a bike to use for the summer! And how well-laid-out bike paths are in Gothenburg :)

20. My parents and how well they've provided for and loved me through life.

21. Thai Curry!!! Honestly, why is nothing else as good? :)

22. Acoustic guitar and it's incredible power to transform any moment :)

23. Hope. 

24. Years that carry life-enhancing wisdom in their grasps...

25. Bubble baths-- the simple pleasures!

26. God's love and the way He wraps me up in it, pours it through me and around me and over me and under me. So complete. So everlasting. So amazing...

Here's to the next 26 years. May God continue to teach me to trust Him, to follow Him into anything, and to somehow use me to bless those He loves all around me...

Now, to head out on a walk and explore!

2 comments:

Melissa Breyette said...

What a wonderful idea, Leah! You'v gotten me thinking...

Emmie said...

Love your list. So thankful for you, Miss! I can just picture you biking around Gothenberg--your blonde hair blowing in the breeze and a smile on your face.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...